800g beef topside or round shoulder (ask our butchers for help!)
1 carrot, fresh thyme. fresh rosemary, 1 small onion, 1 stick celery, 1 tbsp tomato puree
60g bacon trimmings – blanched
1 garlic clove with skin on
200g fresh tomatoes cut into quarters
500ml of red wine
- Season the meat with salt & pepper and heat oil in pan, when hot add the meat to the pan and brown. When fully coloured remove from pan
- Add the all the other ingredients to the pan and gently cook until soft.
- Add the stock to the pan and stir well. Reduce the liquid until it resembles syrup and then add the meat and wine.
- Cover the pan and braise the meat at 180c/Gas 4 for approx 1 1/2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove the meat from the pan and reduce the sauce (you may need to add a little cornstarch here)
- Strain the sauce and skim the fat, season to taste adding a little more of the stock.
- Carve the meat and place on serving dish, cover with a small quantity of the sauce before serving.
- Garnish with blanched carrots, baby leeks, mange tout, pear onions – or similar vegetables of your choice.