It’s summer time!!
Here is a perfect lunch dish – quick and easy to make and using a great local product from one of our favourite producers; Mere Fish Farm. Their smoked trout is superb and it freezes beautifully so if you have unexpected guests it’s great! The trout can be used in pasta, salads and this tart is a winner everytime!
- Line a 12” fluted tart baking tin with short crust pastry (make your own or cheat and use a pastry shell!) and blind bake for approx 10 minutes or until pastry has cooked through
- Fill pastry case with ribbons of Mere smoked trout
- Add the zest of 2 lemons and the juice of one lemon
- Add short sprigs of fresh dill
- In a measuring jug whisk 8 fresh eggs and then add the same amount of double cream, mix very well
- Pour mix into tart case ensuring that all trout and dill is covered
- Sprinkle cracked black pepper on top
- Bake on gas mark 7 on top shelf of oven for 10 minutes and then move tart down to lower shelf for further 10 – 15 minutes
- When tart is golden brown and fully cooked remove from oven and allow to cool
- Serve with fresh green salad leaves and a balsamic dressing